Thursday, August 22, 2013

Men

"It is easy to hate men. Men create the demand for sex trafficking, which the criminals involved in human trafficking are only to eager to supply. Without these men and their personal pursuit of pleasure, the simple fact is there would be no sex trafficking and no forced prostitution."

Now, before Janice and I get a lot of messages from different people about how we are "hatin" on men, let me just say, that quote is from Daniel Walker. A man.

Sure, sometimes when girls get into groups we talk about how stupid the male gender can be at times. We're girls after all and we love to vent to each other. Though this is the case I want to be completely transparent at the moment on this matter. The more I have looked into sex trafficking, the harder it has been for me to, sometimes, be forgiving to men who commit these crimes.

I would rather put my fist into the man's face then show any sign of forgiveness to him. Now, before you all start thinking I have anger issues I should stop. In my life, I understand, to be forgiven I must also forgive. I cannot hold anger in my heart to these men. Even though it is really hard to live that out.

This weekend as I was reading God in a Brothel my complete out look was changed. This book totally messed me up. There is a part in the book where Daniel talks about how even though these men are doing horrible things, he has noticed that these men are slaves to something as well. They are slaves to greed and lust. Not caring what they do, or who they hurt as long as they are satisfied. These men are slaves to selfishness. So, when you were younger and your mom told you to share your toys with you brother or sister and to not be selfish, she knew what she was talking about.

Daniel also talks about how some of the men he has come a crossed, in his work, have justified what they are doing. They feel what they are doing is okay because they are in sexually primitive countries when they are having oral or vaginal sex with girls no older then 6. They also feel that they are helping provide money for these girls. That they are spreading the wealth. But all these men are really doing is lying to themselves.

This book opened my eyes to different forms of slavery, where even the ones oppressing are victims as well. I am in no way saying that this is an excuse for their wrong behavior. But, I do feel a pinch more forgiveness in my heart. Though what they are doing is totally wrong, they need help as well. They need to be set free.

So, lets stop only trying to fix the surface issue of sex trafficking by focusing only on the rescue of girls (though we're highly focused on that too) and start, also, fighting the infection that is causing the wound to stay open and continue to spread.

Just a random thought,

Nicole and Janice


All quotes in this post are from Daniel Walker's book God in a Brothel an Undercover Journey into Sex Trafficking and Rescue.


Walker, Daniel. God in a Brothel An Undercover Journey into Sex Trafficking and Rescue. Illinois: Intervarsity Press, 2011. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment