Monday, July 1, 2013

4 Peeps from North Carolina+ Post It's= Crazy Awareness!


                  I attended the Passion conference this past January in Georgia, and the EndItMovement was a really big topic while were there. Enditmovement is basically an organization that helps raise awareness of modern day slavery across the world, including sex trafficking. After reading some of the statistics about sex trafficking in America, you can’t help but want to try and raise awareness for the cause.
As I was waiting for the church service to begin this morning, I quickly scrolled threw my news feed on Facebook, and I noticed my dear friend Janice’s post about sex trafficking. I clicked on the link and it took me to her blog about sharing facts about sex trafficking with strangers through post it notes in public restrooms. I shared this idea with my friends Jenna, Gabe and Jessica- who was my roommate at the Passion conference. We stopped at Dollar Tree for post it’s and pens; and we decided we were going to plaster the restrooms in our local Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart has two sets of bathrooms, one at either end of the store. We started with the men’s room in the back of the store.


                  Jessica poked her head in and made sure they were empty; we both ran in and began sticking them above toilets and on the mirrors. I even stuck one above the water fountains outside the restrooms.



 
Jenna and I began putting them in the ladies room while Jessica wrote out more notes. As we were putting them in the ladies room, one of the employees asked about it, and I shared with her what we were trying to raise awareness for, and she seemed uninterested. Unfortunately, Jessica actually noticed her brush one of our notes off of the wall, and this kind of made me feel a little discouraged. As we made our way to the restrooms in the front, I decided that I was going to tell everyone, and I didn’t care who took them down. Someone was going to get something out of our notes. I began sticking them on shoes and clothes as we walked by. 

 
When we got to the rest rooms up front, Gabe went into the men’s room with a hand full of post it notes, while Jenna, Jessica and I went into the ladies room. When we walked, in a woman, I’m guessing in her 40s asked what we were doing. We told her about the conference we attended in Georgia, and about Janice’s blog, and about how we were trying to bring people’s attention to sex trafficking. She thought it was great to see that were so adamant about the subject 6 months after our conference. We held a conversation right there in the bathroom with her as people were coming in and out, for probably 10 minutes.
Some of the statistics are just unbelievable, and it’s really saddening to think it goes on here in our own country. This is was such an amazing experience, and I really hope that we are able to share more about modern day slavery and sex trafficking with strangers. It felt so good to know that we could be potentially saving a life by sharing this information with someone, and it was practically free to do it! I pray that someone wonders about our notes enough to research and help with the cause! -Danielle
I kind of have mixed feelings about my experience. It made me glad, sad, frustrated, and irritated all at the same time. I got a little upset and angry when the employee pulled down one of the notes, because it’s so important, and it shouldn't just be brushed off like it’s nothing! I’m grateful that I got to help make a difference, even in our small town. Most people will probably ignore the notes, but I know that someone is going to notice it, and God will speak to them. Words can’t really explain all of the feelings I have but that is as close as I can get. -Jessica
I feel like we made a difference, and it felt really good to inform people. There were a few people that stopped to read the notes, and it was exciting to see people reading them. It felt good to know that what we were doing could help someone somewhere in the world. -Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment