Saturday, July 27, 2013

Sold

For all of those repeat blog readers of ours out there, well, first off let me say thanks! But, to the main point, I love reading and the repeat readers I am sure have started to notice that. And today, this blog post has to do with another book.

No, I did not just finish reading it. I actually read this book, I believe, my sophomore year of high school. It would have had to have been about 2009-2010. I was in the school library and looking for a book to pass the time. I was in the fiction part of the library and a yellow book with the title Sold jumped out at me. Well, nothing else really caught my eye as I kept walking and so, I went back and grabbed the book.

In all honesty, I don't even know if I took the time to read the back of the book. I went to check it out and the librarian told me that the book I was checking out was a good, but sad book. Well, I should have figured that. There was a girl on the front of the book cover and her head was covered. I knew from that picture alone, this story was going to be taking place in another country. Sweet! At this point in time I had never been out of the country and hey, maybe I would learn something from this fictional book. So, sad was not the first thing on my mind.

Here is the thing. Though this book is fictional I learned so much from it. I ended up reading the book in no time what so ever. I needed to know what happened to the young girl who is the main character in the book.

This book was the first time I had ever seen sex trafficking be apart of a books main story line, and not too many fictinal books have this. The book was great! It totally got me thinking. I looked into sex trafficking, and then, sadly, it faded out of my reach. I was a high school student with no job and no idea how to do anything to help fight against sex trafficking, unlike now.

But, the book did make an impact on my life and look where I am now. Several years later and I still would recommend that you read the book Sold. It was a shocking book and through it I learned enough about sex trafficking to get a fire started in my heart. So, my dear friends, if you are looking for a book to read, check out this book.

Author: Patricia McCormick
Book: Sold
Year Published: 2006



Though this post is short and sweet I hope you are able to get something from it. And if you yourself are not a book reader, why not recommend the book to someone who is! Or maybe just try to read it yourself. If you get it from the library for free nothing was lost in your attempt to read it. It isn't a hard book, at all,  to read and it isn't super long. The perfect working persons book!

Happy reading,

Nicole and Janice

P.S. Have you read any other good books on sex trafficking? (no matter fiction, autobiography or biograpghy) Let us know! We would love to check them out and let others know of the books! email us at: askmeaboutsextrafficking@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I think this crime totally sucks.
    they're doing something insane and this increases rape cases, actually.
    Great post. Will get hold of the book.
    thefadingdarkness.blogspot.com
    My blog on injustice, crimes against women, etc.
    Do follow it if you want justice too.
    Great blog, once again.

    ReplyDelete